Upon Start-up of Phase 1 of the Wynyard Potash Project, a tailings stream of high purity magnesium chloride brine will become available. Rather than deep well disposal, a Preliminary Feasibility Study was carried out considering the production of high grade magnesium compounds from a portion of the tailings stream.
The Preliminary Feasibility Study considered the sale of 100,000 tonnes per year of 32% magnesium chloride brine and 104,000 tonnes per year of 99%+ Hydromagnesite (Basic Magnesium Carbonate, or BMC).
Magnesium Chloride brine is used primarily for:
- highway de-icing in winter months
- gravel road dust control in summer months
- sewage treatment
- textiles and paper
- cement additive
- oil well drilling fluid
Hydromagnesite (BMC) is being considered for use as:
- TiO2 extender for paints, paper, and plastics
- Precipitated Calcium Carbonate replacement for pulp and paper
- Feedstock for the production of high grade magnesium chemicals
- Feedstock for the production of fuel additives
- Mineral fire retardant
Karnalyte - Magnesium Compounds Product Line